Monday, March 21, 2011

The 2nd Garment I Was Asked To Make


The Second Garment I Was Asked To Make =
A Hat With a Long Scarf Attached 
(how it was described to me)


Again, using a very thick yarn (meaning I had to double the thickest we could find) and I used huge needles.  I started with the scarf part first, she said she wanted it 20" wide by 70" long. She wanted a cable/rib type of pattern, and cabling would take me forever with something that big and such a short deadline (we were running out of time).  So I gave her a few different ribbed design patterns and she choose one.  It was relatively easy, just very time consuming, considering it was the be thick and extra wide and long.  But I knocked it out pretty quickly!
And luckily we found a color yarn (locally, we didnt have time to order any) that matched the color she needed to match the line (and drawing). 


Once I finished, I hat to wait awhile to actually work on the hat portion of it.  Because, well one, she needed to get me more yarn, and two, she hat base had to be ordered and she had been putting it off.  And then she got it, but because neither of us drive, even after she got it, it still took me a few days to get it from her.  During this waiting period, I tried to think of many different ways to do the hat, connect it and whatnot.  But I didnt have the measurements of the hat, and didnt know what material it was made out of.  As well, I had to figure out what stitch to use on the hat to make it look almost identical to the scarf part.  She (not being a knitter), figured I could just use the same stitch and make it round lol.  The first problem with that, is that the stitch she chose for the scarf is done in increments of 5+2 so I can't make it round, increasing or decreasing any would take away from the ribs.  Plus I had to design the hat shape.  It is basically like a sun hat.  I needed to make a round beanie part.  And make a part to cover the bill, that also resembled the ribbing on the scarf, connect the two, and figure out how to connect the scarf to hat because she wanted the scarf to increase out into a V and connect, NOT POSSIBLE lol. It was very challenging to design someone elses picture or idea of something. I'm use to just following patterns. Not making them. 



I finally got the hat base from her. It made out of a thin wire and then white bendable screening.  I figured out and designed a hat piece to fit perfectly over the round part.  Then I had to decide the best way to cover the bill.  I then sewed the hat part to the bill part, making sure that when I made the bill part, it wrapped underneath the hat, and was tightly secured so it wouldnt slip off.

When I finally finished I was so happy, it was like getting your freedom back lol. 







Now all I had to do was sew the scarf to the side of the hat. And that's exactly what I did. I completed this exactly like the picture I was given. Go me

No comments:

Post a Comment